Perhaps nothing is more annoying than a car that won’t start when you turn the key. Today, we will give you tips on what to do whenever this happens. You must follow the order and not jump from one to another. Here it goes:
- Pull out your jumper cable. By the way, get a good pair of jumper cables. Don’t just go for cheap ones because they might just melt when you use them.
- Now, open the hood and find the battery. Then, first connect the red cable to the positive terminal of the battery and connect the other end of the red jumper cable and connect it to the positive terminal of your donor battery.
- Next is to connect the black jumper cable to the negative terminal of your donor battery. Now comes the tricky part, you don’t want to put the negative terminal of your jumper cable to your battery because it could cause an explosion! You have to put it on a solid metal part of the engine like the hook for pulling the engine.
- Be patient. Wait about five minutes for the donor battery to charge up your car battery. When all that is done, crank it up! If it starts, then you did a good job and the steps end from here.
Let’s say it didn’t start. So please don’t be shy to read on. Here’s what to check next:
- Find yourself a big stick. An old broom handle would be perfect. Stop asking why, just do it.
- Find the starter. The starter motors are always between the engine and the transmission where they bolt together. So it’s either in the front or in the back of the engine.
- Use that stick to whack the starter a few times. If that doesn’t work. Have one person to crank the key while you whack the starter simultaneously. That should do the trick.
Remember, don’t turn off the engine until you reach your final destination. The last thing you would want to do is redo the steps again from the beginning. Oh, and if your car still didn’t start, here’s a last tip:
- Check your gas gauge. If it is completely empty and the meter is obviously below the empty line, don’t forcibly start the car. The reason is because most modern cars have their fuel pumps inside the gas tank. So if you run out of gas, the pumps will suck in air and burn themselves out. So make sure you put some gas in the tank before starting the car.